Wings Over Dallas 2017: Education Day
The Commemorative Air Force (CAF), the world’s largest flying museum, presents the 2nd annual CAF Wings Over Dallas WWII Airshow on October 6-8, 2017 at Dallas Executive Airport. Once again, we will host an “Education Day,” on Friday, Oct. 6. This is a no-cost, field trip opportunity providing your students a chance to experience World War II history up close and personal. CAF Wings Over Dallas is where history roars off the pages of the textbook and features living history displays and veterans who can share their personal stories with young people.
Our airshows feature amazing, dramatic flying acts. This year’s show also sees the return of hands-on education activities through the Fun Zone, and the CAF RISE ABOVE: RED TAILS Tuskegee Airmen Experience. The CAF is committed to providing quality educational experiences for area students and is excited to invite local schools and home educators.
For more information or if you are interested in attending Education Day, please contact Bill Shepard, with the contact information provided below.
We look forward to seeing you on October 6!
Commemorative Air Force Vice President of Education
office: (214) 330-1700, ext.114 or mobile: (469) 486-3444
SCROLL DOWN FOR SCHEDULE INFORMATION AND TIPS FOR EDUCATORS
Friday Showcase Schedule
Our popular showcase format returns this year, featuring veterans telling their story in conjunction with aircraft and vehicle demonstrations.
Gates Open at 9 a.m., Last Arrivals at 3 p.m.
- 9:30 a.m. – Show Opening & National Anthem
Join us to sing the National Anthem, and officially begin the show with a fly-past delivered by aircraft built in Dallas during World War II.
- 10:00 a.m. – The Mighty 8th Air Force
Watch as veterans relate stories of the harrowing air war over Europe, while B-17 and P-51 aircraft are demonstrated.
- 11:00 a.m. – Hometown Heroes
Veterans from North Texas share their stories, and are reunited with aircraft like those they flew during World War II.
- Noon – Steel Victory: American Armor
A crowd favorite! An impressive collection of tanks and artillery are featured during this Living History demonstration including firing demonstrations.
- 1:00 p.m. – Turning the Tide
Did you ever wonder how the Navy fits so many airplanes on their aircraft carriers? Watch as Navy aircraft fold and unfold their wings, taking to the skies as veterans describe the roll these crucial airplanes played in winning the war.
- 2:00 p.m. – The Doolittle Raid 75th Anniversary
2017 marks the 75th Anniversary of the Doolittle Raid on Tokyo, a mission which struck at the very heart of Japan, raising American morale following the attack on Pearl Harbor and shattering the Japanese sense of invincibility. Sixteen Army land-based B-25 bombers took off from a Navy aircraft carrier far behind enemy lines to execute the daring mission. Look on as aircraft from the CAF collection recreate this flight that stunned the world, and was immortalized in the movie “30 Seconds Over Tokyo.”
- 3:00 p.m. – Bomber Formation Practice
Although the show gates close at 3 p.m., those who are able to stay can look on as the CAF pilots practice for the weekend airshow, which includes a mass bomber formation flyover.
Education Hangar & Hands On Museum
Developed in collaboration with several local museums and educational partners, the Education Tent and Hands-On Museum allows students to handle historic artifacts and engage in interactive science experiments related to aviation.
CAF Rise Above: Red Tails
The Commemorative Air Force’s Rise Above: Red Tails film is a one of a kind outreach program which tells the story of the Tuskegee Airmen. Take your students “inside the cockpit” and soar above the clouds in your own P-51C Mustang as you experience our immersive film, RISE ABOVE, inside a one-of-a-kind dome theater. The CAF RISE ABOVE Traveling Exhibit highlights the courage and determination of the Tuskegee Airmen, America’s first African-American military pilots, who overcame obstacles to train and fight as pilots, and what it means to us 70+ years later.
Every student who visits the CAF RISE ABOVE Traveling Exhibit on Education Day will receive an inspirational dog tag with the six guiding principles of shared by the Tuskegee Airmen. These principles reinforce the content of the film, and help young people understand that if they persevere they can make their dreams come true. The dog tags read: Aim High – Believe In Yourself – Use Your Brain – Never Quit – Be Ready to Go – Expect To Win.
Experiencing this exhibit at Education Day has no cost, but space is limited. If you are interested in providing your students this opportunity, please let us know when you register.
Key Information for Educators:
- Show gates open at 9 a.m., and last admission is taken at 3 p.m.
- There is parking available on site for buses. Location address for buses is Dallas Executive Airport, 5303 Challenger Drive, Dallas, TX 75237.
- All schools or groups visiting on Education Day must pre-register by contacting Bill Shepard at firstname.lastname@example.org or (469) 486-3444.
- Allow 1.5 to 4 hours for your visit depending on the size of your group, and how much of the show you would like the students to experience.
- While food will be available on site to purchase, we are not able to provide lunches. If your students bring packed lunches there is ample space for them to sit down (on the ground) and eat it.
- We request that for students age 14 and under educators observe a ratio of 1 adult chaperone per 10 students. For students age 15 and older, we request 1 adult chaperone per 20 students.
- Additional adults can enter with the school group at the regular admission price at the gate. Discounted rates available online at www.WingsOverDallas.com.
For any additional information, or to register your group please contact Bill Shepard, Vice President of Education.
Bill Shepard – CAF Vice President of Education
office: (214) 330-1700, ext.114 or mobile: (469) 486-3444